Tuesday, September 05, 2006

A beginning...

I finally stopped ruminating about it and decided to try blogging. I've been journaling for years; time to move into something new.

The air is smoky outside from too many forest fires during this dry summer in the West. Fine particles of ash on my car every morning. It's not that fires are just outside the door; the wind has carried the smoke, the ash, from forests miles away. We have a "yellow air alert" and have for several days now between the smoke, auto emissions, and the trapped ozone. Weather inversions are common here. So much for "quality of life" for those of us with asthma. Yet people keep moving here in droves.

Me? I'm not a native Idahoan either. I ended up here over 15 years ago with my (now ex)-spouse. Job transfer. It's a nice place to raise a family; some good folks here, especially where I work. But I'm tired of the desert, the politics (too conservative, crazy-inducing), and just feel ancy. I look at photos I've put up in my office of the Oregon coast. If I could teleport onto that beach right now...

I'm usually very quiet; one who listens and observes others. One who doesn't always speak out when I should. Blogging is a step toward more self-assertion. I admire those who are able to speak out easily and freely--as long as they leave room for others to also speak. The word "conversation" means something different than "monologue;" too often people seem to confuse the two...

I love the arts: Love going to see theater productions, art exhibits, modern dance performances, concerts (when we can afford them), readings. Although the scene here has improved a lot over the years, it's not like what you can find in a larger city. C (my husband) and I go to events here as often as we can, between work and all.

I've also dabbled with various art forms over the years. Have sung, played guitar & piano (love singing along to the radio or CD--Ben Harper--"I believe in a better way" Pax version...), take too many photos (love photoblogs--great photographers out there!), painted oils & watercolors, written a couple of novels (currently trying to sell my most recent one), have written short plays. A main problem: focus. Tend to go off on jags of one or the other for a while, then switch to something else. Something I continue to contend with. Perhaps I'm not alone in that?

As always, more questions, than answers...

No comments: