Exploring our fascination with the Lotus over the centuries...
* The ancient Egyptians worshipped a blue water-lily, Nymphaea caerulea, which was known as the "blue lotus" or "sacred lotus."
* The lotus is one of the Ashtamangala, or Eight Auspicious Symbols in Buddhism. The lotus flower represents "purity of body, speech, and mind, floating above the muddy waters of attachment and desire."
* The lotus effect: Although lotuses usually grow in muddy water, the leaves and flowers remain clean. Why? The microscopic structure and chemistry of the leaves cause water to roll off the leaf's surface, carrying mud, insects, and such with them (Wikipedia).
* In the Odyssey, Odysseus and his crew came upon an island where only source of food for the inhabitants was the fruit of the lotus tree (thus, the Lotus-eaters). But although the fruit tasted sweet, it cast a spell, caused all those who ate it to become continually drowsy and apathetic...
* The Lotus Position is a cross-legged sitting posture for meditation.
* Lotus Land is a common nickname for the city of Vancouver, Canada.
* The practice of foot binding in medieval China was called Lotus Foot.
* Lotus is a techno, funk, and fusion jam-band from Philadelphia, PA [www.lotusvibes.com]
* "Lotus" is a song by R.E.M., and an album by Santana.
* * * * * * * * * * * *
Does the Eagle know what is in the pit
Or wilt thou go ask the Mole?
Can Wisdom be put in a silver rod,
Or Love in a golden bowl?
– William Blake