Saturday, December 30, 2006

Lists, value, and life

Here it is, the beginning of the end of 2006. Everybody’s recapping the year, listing their favorites or least favorites; the high points, the low points. Spotlights on the rising stars; benedictions for those who passed into the beyond.

As is fitting for the end of these holidays, let’s return to A Christmas Carol as Scrooge entreats the Ghost of the Future after seeing his own wretched death:

"Spirit!" he cried, tight clutching at its robe. "hear me! I am not the man I was. I will not be the man I must have been but for this intercourse. Why show me this, if I am past all hope?"

And later:

"Scrooge was better than his word. He became as good a friend, as good a master, and as good a man as the good old city knew…"

As nasty and contemptuous as Scrooge was at the story’s beginning, even he was worth saving…

Look at the birds of the air, for they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they?
-- Gospel of Matthew

No comments: