Tuesday, September 04, 2007

The gift of a storm


A storm, we had a storm with rain today, badly needed rain. And more than just a few dusty drops. C and I stood out on our tiny stoop for a bit, just to listen to the rain and breathe in its wonderful aroma.

As a little kid, I was terrified by the powerful thunderstorms during summer nights in the Midwest. When a storm came, I’d bury myself in my bed, hiding under the pillow and blankets until it passed.

But later, I began watching the storms. If it were during the day, my brother and I would run out into the front yard and watch the storm roll in, the wind beating our faces, blowing our hair straight back. We’d stay out there until the rain began, then run back into the house, laughing, totally soaked. If it were night, I’d gaze out my bedroom window, counting the seconds between lightning flash and thunder rolls, fascinated how eerie and magical everything looked in the brief burst of a lightning flash. And I began to understand it as weather, instead of the end of the world.

^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*
I'm not afraid of storms, for I'm learning how to sail my ship.
-Louisa May Alcott

Good luck has its storms.
-George Lucas

You don't need to pray to God any more when there are storms in the sky, but you do have to be insured.
-Bertolt Brecht

No comments: