Monday, June 07, 2010

Poppy time


They are springing up everywhere in gardens and yards. But we don't have fields of wild poppies -- nor do we have magic ones....

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
They walked along listening to the singing of the brightly colored birds and looking at the lovely flowers which now became so thick that the ground was carpeted with them. There were big yellow and white and blue and purple blossoms, besides great clusters of scarlet poppies, which were so brilliant in color they almost dazzled Dorothy's eyes.

"Aren't they beautiful?" the girl asked, as she breathed in the spicy scent of the bright flowers.

"I suppose so," answered the Scarecrow. "When I have brains, I shall probably like them better."

"If I only had a heart, I should love them," added the Tin Woodman.

"I always did like flowers," said the Lion. "They of seem so helpless and frail. But there are none in the forest so bright as these."

~ from The Wonderful Wizard of Oz by L. Frank Baum

2 comments:

Katie said...

Beautiful! As much as I like all the wild poppies we have in CA, I like these too. Looks like a lovely garden (is that a fountain in the background?), and I'm glad you included the tree.

Ms M said...

Thanks, Katie. :) This is a scene of someone's front yard that we saw while taking a walk. There may be a fountain or birdbath in the background.