Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Rain song

Sat on the front steps, sketching with a black pen as the storm moved in. Rain peppered the sidewalks, bushes, trees. Amid gentle thunder and occasional flashes of lightning, a Mourning Dove sang.

!!!! ! !! !!!!!! ! ! !!!! ! ! ! !!!!!! ! !!! ! ! !!!!!! ! ! !!! ! !! !!!

The Mourning Dove (Zenaida macroura) is a member of the dove family Columbidae. The bird is also called the American Mourning Dove (named for its plaintive call) or Rain Dove.
~ Wikipedia

Let the rain kiss you
Let the rain beat upon your head with silver liquid drops
Let the rain sing you a lullaby
The rain makes still pools on the sidewalk
The rain makes running pools in the gutter
The rain plays a little sleep song on our roof at night
And I love the rain.
~ April Rain Song, Langston Hughes

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

since you re
solarized a line of storms
(or storming lines)
a dove
perches on a corner
of your drawing
waiting to have
its next flight
rendered -
in a blink
you marry its image to the rain's
gaze

Katie said...

Wow, hard to beat what anon has written! I really like the subtle colors and the simple yet powerful images you've drawn. How fun to sit and watch a storm and be able to draw as well as you do! I was hoping for a thunderstorm while I was on vacation in Minnesota, but none materialized. (There was a bad tornado just 21 miles north of where I was, but I didn't want to see that kind of storm!)

Ms M said...

thanks, Katie. It was a wonderful experience watching the storm and drawing. And yes, gentle storms for me, too, not tornadoes. Growing up in MO, I remember too many times huddled in the SW corner of the basement!
I hope you had a great time on your vacation. :)