Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Chasing the wind


When the wind blows, this is one busy cat. I’m not sure if this is a windmill or a lawn ornament. When I researched online I found pictures of "mole chaser windmills" that are built similarly to this one. Mole chasers are supposed to create vibrations in the ground when the wind blows and the vibrations are supposed to make moles crazy and drive them away. But the ones I saw were plain vanilla; not built with character like this one.

When I think about it, I’ve never seen a mole "tunnel" in any Idaho yard. They may not be suited to a high desert climate. So this is probably a "decorative windmill", along the lines of spinners, and wooden ducks with wings that circle in the wind. But if I were buying one of these, I’d choose the cat, of course.

In other news, the daily paper here has been named a finalist for a Pulitzer Prize in journalism for their stories on our infamous toe-tapping Senator Craig – who is still in office and still fighting to have his guilty plea rescinded. Maybe we need a "mole chaser" after all…

!!! ! ! !!! !!! ! ! !!! !! !! !!!! ! !! !! !!!! !! !! !

The conscience is the most flexible material in the world. Today you cannot stretch it over a mole hill; while tomorrow it can hide a mountain.
- Edward Bulwer-Lytton

If animals could speak the dog would be a blundering outspoken fellow, but the cat would have the rare grace of never saying a word too much.
- Mark Twain

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

whether it be a decorative spinner, spry metal cat or a flying wooden duck, the answer my friend, is blowing in the wind....


the answer is floating in the wind.

Zimmy via Abby's Pizza Inn