Thursday, April 12, 2007

On being sensitive


Here it is; sunlight through the petals of a deep red bloom. I chose the photo because it talks to me tonight. Been looking through my photos, deciding which to enter in a juried art exhibition. With photography often seen as a poor stepchild to fine art, it may be a long shot, but it’s worth a try.

Looked up "sensitive" on the internet, and websites came up about Highly Sensitive People. There are quizzes to help you determine your level of sensitivity, and books to help you deal with life if you are a Highly Sensitive Person. I noticed most of the authors were from California…

But I have to admit that I did relate to a lot of the traits that were listed. And I took a couple of quizzes on different sites and ended up with high scores, which indicates that I, too, am a Highly Sensitive Person. Will I buy one of the books? Probably not. But it does give me a little more clarity, rather like washing a dusty window pane after a long winter. Or gazing at the sunlight glow through deep red flower petals.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Flowers open every night
across the sky, a breathing peace
and sudden flame catching.

~ Rumi

No comments: